Definition of Mahogany tree
1. Noun. Any of various tropical timber trees of the family Meliaceae especially the genus Swietinia valued for their hard yellowish- to reddish-brown wood that is readily worked and takes a high polish.
Group relationships: Family Meliaceae, Mahogany Family, Meliaceae
Terms within: Mahogany
Specialized synonyms: Cedrela Odorata, Spanish Cedar, Spanish Cedar Tree, African Scented Mahogany, Cedar Mahogany, Entandrophragma Cylindricum, Sapele Mahogany, African Mahogany, Cuban Mahogany, Dominican Mahogany, Swietinia Mahogani, True Mahogany, Honduras Mahogany, Swietinia Macrophylla, Cedrela Calantas, Kalantas, Philippine Cedar, Philippine Mahogany, Toona Calantas, Hardtack
Generic synonyms: Tree
Mahogany Tree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mahogany Tree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mahogany Tree
Literary usage of Mahogany tree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Works of William Makepeace Thackeray by William Makepeace Thackeray, Sir Leslie Stephen (1899)
"THE mahogany tree I Winds whistle shrill, ^-^ Icy and chill, Little care wo : Little we fear Weather without, Sheltered about The mahogany tree. ..."
2. Works by Manuel Márquez Sterling, William Makepeace Thackeray, Leslie Stephen, Louise Stanage (1902)
"THE mahogany tree. • CHRISTMAS is here : Winds whistle shrill, Icy and chill, Little care we : Little we fear Weather without, Sheltered about The Mahogany ..."
3. The Annual Register, Or, A View of the History, Politics, and Literature for by Edmund Burke (1812)
"Account of the mahogany tree, and of the cutting thereof at Honduras. [From Captain Henderson's Account of (he British Settlement of ..."
4. The Cyclopædia;: Or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature.by Abraham Rees by Abraham Rees (1819)
"Febrifuge Mahogany-tree. Willd. n. 2. Roxb. Coromandel. vi 18. t. 17.—Leaves pinnate, of about four pair ... cultivated is the mahogany-tree (S. mahagoni. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Mahogany tree