Definition of Main line
1. Noun. The principal route of a transportation system.
Definition of Main line
1. Noun. The principal route or line of a railway. ¹
2. Noun. (fishing lang=fi) In longline fishing the central line to which the branch lines with baits are attached. ¹
3. Noun. (slang) A principal vein into which a drug can be injected. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Main Line Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Main Line Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Main Line
Literary usage of Main line
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The description follows this main line in a SE direction, ... From Parma starts a main line, followed by expresses from Milan to Rome, which crosses the ..."
2. Proceedings by Natural Gas Association of America, Modern Language Association of America (1917)
"The main line drip has been used by the Wichita Natural Gas Co., and proven to be satisfactory. The entire drip is of welded construction. ..."
3. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1907)
"Here the council, it will be observed, expressly referred to the Garden street branch as the main line, and it is undoubtedly plain that it was properly во ..."
4. Annual Report by New Jersey Civil Service Commission (1910)
"The main line of the Saratoga division extends from Albany to Whitehall, 79.14 miles first track, 76.93 miks second track; there are miles third and fourth ..."
5. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1911)
"The plaintiff contends: (1) That the switch at the main line was broken, ... (3) That a white light was turned to the main line, indicating safety, ..."
6. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1907)
"and provides that the grant is to terminate with the grant for the main line. And yet the real meaning of the ordinance. when regar(le(I in the light of the ..."
7. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"It is the function of the rheostats R to provide a resistance equal to that of the main line and the main line coil 1, of the distant relay, so that there ..."