Definition of Mantis shrimp
1. Noun. Tropical marine burrowing crustaceans with large grasping appendages.
Group relationships: Order Stomatopoda, Stomatopoda
Generic synonyms: Stomatopod, Stomatopod Crustacean
Specialized synonyms: Mantis Prawn, Squilla
Mantis Shrimp Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mantis Shrimp Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mantis Shrimp
Literary usage of Mantis shrimp
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The animal creation: A Popular Introduction to Zoology by Thomas Rymer Jones (1865)
"The mantis shrimp (Squilla mantis) is remarkable on account of the strange resemblance between its fore-legs and those of the insect Mantis, described in a ..."
2. Introduction to Zoology: A Guide to the Study of Animals ; for the Use of by Charles Benedict Davenport, Gertrude Anna Crotty Davenport (1902)
"... that the receipts for the lobster alone, taken and sold by United States fishermen, is estimated for 1892 Squilla,2 the mantis shrimp, SO mantis shrimp. ..."
3. Elements of Zoology by Charles Frederick Holder, Joseph Bassett Holder (1885)
"mantis shrimp (Squilla mantis'). two enormous faceted eyes that entirely cover the head. ... The Squilla, or mantis shrimp (Fig. 95), representing Order VI, ..."
4. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1890)
"... down upon the shoulders and may be used as a veil, worn in Spain and the Spanish colonies, in Genoa, and elsewhere. mantis-shrimp (man'tis- shrimp), и. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Mantis shrimp