Definition of Mercers
1. Noun. (plural of mercer) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Mercers
1. mercer [n] - See also: mercer
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mercers Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mercers
Literary usage of Mercers
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Revised Reports: Being a Republication of Such Cases in the English by Frederick Pollock, Robert Campbell, Oliver Augustus Saunders, Arthur Beresford Cane, Joseph Gerald Pease, William Bowstead, Great Britain Courts (1897)
"By another deed of the same date, reciting, among other purposes, a desire to relieve the poor of the Mystery of mercers, of which the grantor was free, ..."
2. London and Its Environs: Handbook for Travellers by Karl Baedeker (Firm) (1896)
"Henry VIII. afterwards granted the hospital to the mercers, who had been incorporated ... Old Jewry, to the E. of mercers' Hall, derives its name from the ..."
3. The Gild Merchant: A Contribution to British Municipal History by Charles Gross (1890)
"In 1448 there were in Coventry companies of tailors, drapers, mercers, ... The mercers were often united with other crafts, especially the grocers, ..."
4. The Genesis of the United States: A Narrative of the Movement in England by Alexander Brown (1890)
"EXTRACT FROM THE mercers' RECORDS. At a Court of the mercers' Company held " on the 20* December, 1610, the Wardens stated that they had been called before ..."
5. London, Past and Present: Its History, Associations, and Traditions by Henry Benjamin Wheatley, Peter Cunningham (1891)
"The mercers were recognised as a guild in 1172 and incorporated as "the Men of the ... The Company are trustees of St. Paul's School, maintain the mercers' ..."
6. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: During by Great Britain Court of Chancery, James William Mylne, Benjamin Keen, Henry Brougham Brougham and Vaux, John Leach (1835)
"The mercers- COMPANY. information had been filed for the purpose of effecting a due application of the sum of 2850/., being the amount of a number of ..."