¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Microfilaria
1. [n -LARIAE]
Medical Definition of Microfilaria
1. The prelarval stage of filarioidea in the blood and other tissues of mammals and birds. They are removed from these hosts by blood-sucking insects in which they metamorphose into mature larvae. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Microfilaria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Microfilaria
Literary usage of Microfilaria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Tropical Diseases: A Manual of the Diseases of Warm Climates by Patrick Manson (1919)
"host, nocturnal periodicity was uniformly observed by the microfilaria of ... and in 1906 Ashburn and Craig found a microfilaria in the Philippines which ..."
2. Human Parasitology: With Notes on Bacteriology, Mycology, Laboratory by Damaso de Rivas (1920)
"microfilaria is found in the blood, and the Trichinella embryos are ... microfilaria are discovered by examining a fresh cover-glass preparation made from ..."
3. The Nomenclature of Diseases by Royal College of Physicians of London (1918)
"Larval form of Filaria loa. Habitat: Blood. microfilaria ... microfilaria perstans, Manson. Synonyms, Filaria sanguinis hominis minor, Manson; F. sanguinis ..."
4. A Text-book of general pathology for the use of students and practitioners by James Martin Beattie (1908)
"microfilaria DIURNA is believed by Hanson to be the larval form of F. loa. As its name implies, it is found in the peripheral circulation during the day. ..."