Definition of Mindoro
1. Noun. A mountainous island in the central Philippines.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mindoro Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mindoro
Literary usage of Mindoro
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Descriptive Dictionary of the Indian Islands & Adjacent Countries by John Crawfurd (1856)
"I/ called by our mariners tlie Straits of mindoro, while the Spaniards give this name tj the narrow sea which divides mindoro from Luzon. ..."
2. Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition: During the Years 1838 by Charles Wilkes (1852)
"It would have been my most direct route to follow these straits until I had passed mindoro. My object, however, was to examine the ground for the benefit of ..."
3. The Philippine Journal of Science by Institute of Science and Technology (Philippines) (1907)
"Mount Halcón is perhaps the third highest mountain in the Philippines, it is situated in the north central part of mindoro and near the geographical center ..."
4. The Philippine Islands and Their People: A Record of Personal Observation by Dean Conant Worcester (1898)
"There was a time when mindoro was famous for other things. So much rice was formerly raised along the coast as to cause the island to be named " the granary ..."
5. The Native Races of the Indian Archipelago: Papuans by George Windsor Earl (1853)
"mindoro, NEGROS, MINDANAO, SULU AND BORNEO. mindoro; VARIETIES or RACE—THE ... mindoro. In this island (which lies immediately adjacent to the south-west ..."
6. General Kenney Reports: A Personal History of the Pacific War by George C. Kenney (1997)
"We landed shortly after daybreak on the morning of the 15th at San Jose, mindoro. No opposition was encountered and no casualties reported by Dunkel during ..."
7. Voyage Round the World: Embracing the Principal Events of the Narrative of by Charles Wilkes (1849)
"mindoro is a beautiful island, and is evidently volcanic; it appears as if thrown up in ... The southern part of mindoro is much higher than the northern, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Mindoro