Definition of Mites
1. Noun. (plural of mite) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Mites
1. mite [n] - See also: mite
Medical Definition of Mites
1. Any arthropod of the order acarina except the ticks. They are minute animals related to the spiders, usually having transparent or semitransparent bodies. They may be parasitic on man and domestic animals, producing various irritations of the skin (acariasis or mite infestations). Many mite species are important to human and veterinary medicine as both parasite and vector. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mites Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mites
Literary usage of Mites
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1917)
"SCIENCE NOTES ON mites ATTACKING ORCHARD AND FIELD CROPS IN UTAH ... He refers to this genus again in his bulletin on " The Acarina or mites" (Rept. No. ..."
2. Report of the Secretary of Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1884)
"Adult mites nearly all killed. One half-grown mite seen crawling about among ... Molting mites and eggs not all killed. Leaves devitalized, but not charred. ..."
3. Calcutta Review by University of Calcutta (1844)
"COLLECTION AND PRESERVATION OF mites FOR TAXONOMIC STUDY AND DISPLAY IN MUSEUMS WITH ... Some well known dermatitis from mites are grocer's or baker's itch; ..."
4. Proceedings of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"The mites are upon the outer, ie, the under sides of the leaves, which when in ... The irritation caused by the mites produces an abnormal multiplication of ..."
5. Manual of Microbiologic Monitoring of Laboratory Animals edited by Kim Waggie (1994)
"Yuzaburo Oku, Matthew C. Playford, Hong Kean Ooi, and Masao Kamiya mites other ... Since the prevalence of these mites in laboratory colonies is limited, ..."