Definition of Moore
1. Noun. United States composer of works noted for their use of the American vernacular (1893-1969).
2. Noun. English actor and comedian who appeared on television and in films (born in 1935).
Generic synonyms: Actor, Histrion, Player, Role Player, Thespian, Comedian, Comic
3. Noun. English philosopher (1873-1958).
4. Noun. Irish poet who wrote nostalgic and patriotic verse (1779-1852).
5. Noun. United States poet noted for irony and wit (1887-1872).
6. Noun. British sculptor whose works are monumental organic forms (1898-1986).
Generic synonyms: Carver, Sculptor, Sculpturer, Statue Maker
Definition of Moore
1. Proper noun. Many toponymic place names, or parts of place names, derived from moor. ¹
2. Proper noun. An English and Irish surname similarly derived. ¹
3. Proper noun. (alternative spelling of More) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Moore Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Moore
Literary usage of Moore
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1917)
"W: Armstrong, il Delin 91:9 D '17 moore, Mrs EH Cutting out the ice bill. ... Science ns 46:342 О 5 47 moore, Ernest Carroll, 1871- Doctrine of general ..."
2. Chemical Abstracts by American Chemical Society (1915)
"moore, FL Chemist and pulp and paper Ind.. 1390. moore, OE Bait for ... moore, GN Lignin liquor as a binder for macadam, gravel and sand clay roads, 1381. ..."
3. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1894)
"At the end of seven days the public were informed that Ann moore had taken no ... Thereupon, at the earnest request of her daughter, Mary moore, the watch ..."
4. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by Anna Lorraine Guthrie, Marion A. Knight, H.W. Wilson Company, Estella E. Painter (1920)
"Mod Lang Notes 34:278-81 My '19 moore. Clarence Bloomfield Northwestern Florida coast ... 11 2 maps 4 pi Acad of Nat Sei Jour 2 ser 16: 515-81 '18 moore, ..."
5. Publishers Weekly by Publishers' Board of Trade (U.S.), Book Trade Association of Philadelphia, American Book Trade Union, Am. Book Trade Association, R.R. Bowker Company (1904)
"moore. Addison W. Existence, meaning, and reality in Locke's Essay and in present epis- temology. ... moore. Clement C, and others. Visit from St. Nicholas, ..."