Definition of Music director
1. Noun. The person who leads a musical group.
Specialized synonyms: Bandleader, Bandmaster, Drum Major, Drum Majorette, Majorette
Generic synonyms: Musician
Specialized synonyms: Bernstein, Leonard Bernstein, Benjamin Britten, Britten, Edward Benjamin Britten, Lord Britten Of Aldeburgh, Arthur Fiedler, Fiedler, Hindemith, Paul Hindemith, Koussevitzky, Serge Koussevitzky, Sergei Aleksandrovich Koussevitzky, Constant Lambert, Lambert, Leonard Constant Lambert, Gustav Mahler, Mahler, Eugene Ormandy, Ormandy, Ozawa, Seiji Ozawa, Leopold Antoni Stanislaw Stokowski, Leopold Stokowski, Stokowski, George Szell, Szell, Arturo Toscanini, Toscanini, Bruno Walter, Walter, Baron Karl Maria Friedrich Ernst Von Weber, Carl Maria Von Weber, Weber, Sir Henry Joseph Wood, Sir Henry Wood, Wood
Derivative terms: Conduct, Direct
Music Director Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Music Director Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Music Director
Literary usage of Music director
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians: Being the Sixth Volume of the by George Grove, Waldo Selden Pratt, Charles Newell Boyd (1920)
"... Nashville and Seattle, appearing also as recitalist and conductor, and since about 1910 has been music-director at Willamette University, Salem, Ore. ..."
2. Music: Devoted to the Art, Science, Technic and Literature of Music (1893)
"The music director had made the rule, some time previously, that makes of pianos would be ignored in the Music Hall and festival concerts, every artist ..."
3. Dwight's Journal of Music by John Sullivan Dwight (1860)
"Music-director Hesse referred to the intimate, hearty, ... In 1847 Siegert was named royal Music-director. ..."
4. The New Music Review and Church Music Review by American Guild of Organists (1906)
"music director. Hoosac School, Hoosick. NY Formerly Asst. Organist, Canterbury Cathedral WILLIAM C. CARL Director of the Guilmant Organ School 17 East nth ..."
5. Dwight's Journal of Music: A Paper of Art and Literature by John Sullivan Dwight (1877)
"In 1854 was music director at Barmen. I 1859, university music director at Breslau, and in 1861 was appointed director of the world ..."
6. Biographical Dictionary of Musicians: With a Bibliography of English by James Duff Brown (1886)
"Son of Georg Benda, and at one time music-director at Hamburg. BENDA (Georg). ... Music-director to Duke of Gotha. D. Thuringia, 1795. WORKS. ..."
7. Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians by Theodore Baker (1919)
"... 1909-11; music director Park Theatre, Boston, 1911- 14; since 1915 in Hartford, Conn., as music director at Strand Th. In 1899 he married the pianist ..."