Definition of Net ton
1. Noun. A United States unit of weight equivalent to 2000 pounds.
Generic synonyms: Avoirdupois Unit
Terms within: Cental, Centner, Cwt, Hundredweight, Quintal, Short Hundredweight
Group relationships: Kiloton
Net Ton Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Net Ton Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Net Ton
Literary usage of Net ton
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annual Report by New Jersey Civil Service Commission (1908)
"Troy, N. Y 35 cents per net ton Provided that a tariff naming said rates shall be filed with the Commission under PSC, 2 NY, No. ..."
2. American Railroads: Government Control and Reconstruction Policies by William James Cunningham (1922)
"The net ton-miles represent the paying part of the gross load. ... It is important, then, to know the ratio of net ton- miles to gross ton-miles. ..."
3. Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1920)
"The power required for this latter purpose varies between 4 and 6 kw-hr. per net ton, so that the total power for the entire process from the track and ..."
4. Transactions of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and (1921)
"4 per cent, of coal Surplus gas, cubic feet per net ton 6600 Gas for heating ovens, cubic feet per net ton 4400 Tar, gallons per net ton 9 Ammonium sulfate, ..."
5. Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review by William B. Dana (1855)
"It is desirable that the practice of selling coal by the gross ton at ом place and by the net ton at another should be changed. In Pennsylvania, at the coal ..."