Definition of Neurotransmitter
1. Noun. A neurochemical that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse.
Generic synonyms: Neurochemical
Definition of Neurotransmitter
1. Noun. (biochemistry neuroscience) Any substance, such as acetylcholine or dopamine, responsible for sending nerve signals across a synapse between two neurons. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Neurotransmitter
1. Any of a group of substances that are released on excitation from the axon terminal of a presynaptic neuron of the central or peripheral nervous system and travel across the synaptic cleft to either excite or inhibit the target cell. Among the many substances that have the properties of a neurotransmitter are acetylcholine, noradrenaline, adrenaline, dopamine, glycine, y aminobutyrate, glutamic acid, substance P, enkephalins, endorphins and serotonin. This entry appears with permission from the Dictionary of Cell and Molecular Biology (11 Mar 2008)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Neurotransmitter Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Neurotransmitter
Literary usage of Neurotransmitter
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Molecular Neurobiology: Proceedings of the 2nd NIMH Conference by Steven Zalcman (1995)
"... Receptors/Coupling Mechanisms Three-Dimensional Structure of a neurotransmitter-Gated Ion Channel N. Unwin MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, ..."
2. A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story by Andrei Maylunas (2005)
"Thus, activation of Penk gene expression upon neurotransmitter challenge is suggested to be due to an enhanced transcriptional activity of the gene mediated ..."
3. The Science, Treatment, and Prevention of Antisocial Behaviorsby Diana H. Fishbein by Diana H. Fishbein (2004)
"Central neurotransmitter function in criminal aggression. In DH Fishbein (Ed.), The science, treatment, and prevention of antisocial behaviors: Application ..."
4. Alcohol and the Brain (1993)
"neurotransmitter is released from me presynaptic terminal when the arrival of an action ... neurotransmitter diffuses across the synapse and binds to a ..."
5. The Neuroscience of Mental Health: A Report on Neuroscience Research edited by Stephen H. Koslow (1997)
"neurotransmitters and Neuromodulators There is an enormous supporting molecular cast in neurotransmission, but the main actor is the neurotransmitter, ..."
6. Reviews in Environmental Health (1998): Toxicological Defense Mechanics edited by Gary E. R. Hook, George W. Lucier (2000)
"Such reactions include the release of neurotransmitter, phosphorylation of proteins, ... With regard to neurotransmitter synthesis, clones fall into four ..."
7. Health Consequences of Smoking: Nicotine Addiction a Report of the Surgeon by DIANE Publishing Company, C. Everett Koop, M.D. (1995)
"Presynaptic Regulation of neurotransmitter Release The release of ACh from some nerve terminals in the CNS (Rowell and ..."