Definition of New testament
1. Noun. The collection of books of the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, the Pauline and other epistles, and Revelation; composed soon after Christ's death; the second half of the Christian Bible.
Group relationships: Bible, Book, Christian Bible, Good Book, Holy Scripture, Holy Writ, Scripture, Word, Word Of God
Terms within: Gospel According To Matthew, Matthew, Gospel According To Mark, Mark, Gospel According To Luke, Gospel Of Luke, Luke, Gospel According To John, John, Acts, Acts Of The Apostles, Epistle, Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Romans, Epistle To The Romans, Romans, First Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Corinthians, First Epistle To The Corinthians, I Corinthians, Ii Corinthians, Second Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Corinthians, Second Epistle To The Corinthians, Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Galatians, Epistle To The Galatians, Galatians, Ephesians, Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Ephesians, Epistle To The Ephesians, Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Philippians, Epistle To The Philippians, Philippians, Colossians, Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Colossians, Epistle To The Colossians, First Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Thessalonians, First Epistle To The Thessalonians, I Thessalonians, Ii Thessalonians, Second Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Thessalonians, Second Epistle To The Thessalonians, First Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To Timothy, First Epistle To Timothy, I Timothy, Ii Timothy, Second Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To Timothy, Second Epistle To Timothy, Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To Titus, Epistle To Titus, Titus, Epistle To The Hebrews, Hebrews, Epistle Of James, James, First Epistle Of Peter, I Peter, Ii Peter, Second Epistle Of Peter, First Epistle Of John, I John, Ii John, Second Epistel Of John, Iii John, Third Epistel Of John, Epistle Of Jude, Jude, Apocalypse, Book Of Revelation, Revelation, Revelation Of Saint John The Divine, Evangel, Gospel, Gospels
Specialized synonyms: Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To Philemon, Epistle To Philemon, Philemon
Generic synonyms: Testament, Will
Definition of New testament
1. Proper noun. The second half of the Christian Bible, includes the four Gospels, the Book of Acts, the Epistles, and the Book of Revelation. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
New Testament Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: New Testament Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of New Testament
Literary usage of New testament
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1911)
"Gospel of Matthew; from the Twentieth century new testament. S. pa. *5c. ... Moorehead, W: Q. Outline studies in the new testament; Catholic epistles—James, ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"Luther's new testament went into Swedish at the hands of Andrae and Petri ... The Icelandic new testament (1540) and Bible (1584) were revised in 1644 and ..."
3. The Bibliographer's Manual of English Literature: Containing an Account of by William Thomas Lowndes (1864)
"8f o. double columns. In the British Museum. new testament ... new testament. Lend, by Robert Darker and by the Assignee of John Bill, 1633, 32mo. ..."
4. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1901)
"Problem in new testament criticism. Jacobus, MW $1.50. Scribner. ... YMCA Matthew: the genesis of the new testament: its purpose, character, and method. ..."
5. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1909)
"new testament ethics, the standard and mold of Christian ethics, is religious to an even greater degree than the ethics of the Old Testament. ..."
6. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1908)
"new testament. Canon and text of the new testament, by CR Gregory. Review. ... Contribution« from the history of religions to the new testament J. Ы. 3. ..."