2. Noun. (dated) the process of laying light pieces of round timber across the trunks of the trees and setting fire to them at the point of contact, by which means the trees are slowly burned through ¹
3. Verb. (present participle of nigger) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Niggering
1. nigger [v] - See also: nigger
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Niggering Images
Literary usage of Niggering
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An American Glossary by Richard Hopwood Thornton (1912)
"1843 In addition to " niggering off," it became necessary, as the cold increased, to chop oft logs ... 1843 This is the niggering off. It is thus performed. ..."
2. The New Purchase: Or, Seven and a Half Years in the Far West by Baynard Rush Hall (1843)
"niggering belongs mainly to very large timber, and pertains rather to the science of log-rolling than of preparing fuel; but chopping is essential to nearly ..."
3. Roughing it in the Bush, Or, Life in Canada by Susanna Moodie (1852)
"... he resorted to the practice of " niggering," as it is called; which is simply laying light pieces of round timber across the trunks of the trees, ..."