Definition of Night-blooming cereus
1. Noun. Any of several night-blooming cacti of the genus Selenicereus.
Group relationships: Genus Selenicereus, Selenicereus
Specialized synonyms: Queen Of The Night, Selenicereus Grandiflorus
2. Noun. Any of several cacti of the genus Hylocereus.
3. Noun. Any of several cacti of the genus Cereus.
Night-blooming Cereus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Night-blooming Cereus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Night-blooming Cereus
Literary usage of Night-blooming cereus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Female Poets: With Biographical and Critical Notices by Caroline May (1848)
"... the angel of this world of tears, Pointed with radiant brow to future years. Alas! for us the Future wove Love's shroud! TO THE night-blooming cereus. ..."
2. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (1899)
"... A Text-book of General Botany; Atkinson, Elementary Botany; Strasburger, a Text- Book of Botany. (Translated by Porter.) A "night-blooming cereus ..."
3. A Furnace of Earth by Hallie Erminie Rives (1900)
"Her love for him is most exquisite; it always reminds me of the perfume of the night-blooming- cereus." He took his leave of Margaret with grave courtesy ..."