2. Noun. (immunology uncountable) All agents and substances that are not body's own. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Nonself
1. foreign material in a body [n -SELVES]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nonself Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nonself
Literary usage of Nonself
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Understanding the Immune System by Lydia Woods Schindler (1991)
"Introduction Self and nonself The immune system is a complex network of specialized cells and organs that has evolved to defend the body against attacks by ..."
2. Rose's Notes on the United States Supreme Court Reports (2 Dallas to 241 by Walter Malins Rose, Charles Lawrence Thompson, United States Supreme Court (1917)
"616, distinguishing between certain self-executing and nonself-executing constitutional provisions. Equity will enjoin a judgment at law where it would be ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"One feature of self-nonself discrimination can be discussed without reference to the ... We can ask whether the self-nonself discrimination is coded for ..."
4. Catalyzing Inquiry at the Interface of Computing and Biology by John C. Wooley, Herbert Lin (2005)
"In other words, a detector capable of matching such nonself ... Furthermore, as the number of nonself patterns that can be recognized by a single detector ..."
5. Poverty, Household Food Security, and Nutrition in Rural Pakistan by Harold Alderman, Marito Garcia (1993)
"When these variables are excluded, the Hausman test statistic, comparing the parameters of the height-for-age equation with and without the nonself village ..."