Definition of Ockham
1. Noun. English scholastic philosopher and assumed author of Occam's Razor (1285-1349).
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ockham Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ockham
Literary usage of Ockham
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Beginnings of Modern Europe (1250-1450) by Ephraim Emerton (1917)
"The distinction between them is that ockham was primarily a philosopher trying to ... It is of interest to note that Pope Clement VI in condemning ockham ..."
2. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1895)
"ockham is said to have been a pupil of Duns Scotus, •who is likewise claimed on equally slender grounds as a fellow of Merton, but who was •certainly a ..."
3. The History of the Christian Church During the Middle Ages with a Summary of by Philip Smith (1885)
"tuate in William of ockham ; the united stream could not but endeavour to work itself clear ; the incessant activity of thought could hardly fail to call ..."
4. The Southern Empire by Oliver Throck Morton (1892)
"ockham opposed that perfect representative of scholasticism, Thomas Aquinas, ... ockham was tried for heresy, and was imprisoned by the Pope at Avignon for ..."
5. The History of the Christian Church by Philip Smith (1892)
"The English Franciscan WILLIAM OF ockham, pupil of Duns Scotus, teaches at Paris and Boulogne—Supports Philip the Fair against Boniface VIII. ..."
6. History of Latin Christianity: Including that of the Popes to the by Henry Hart Milman (1881)
"William was of undistinguished birth, from the village of ockham, in Surrey; he entered into the Franciscan order, and was sent to study theology under Duns ..."
7. Introduction to the literature of Europe in the fifteenth, sixteenth, and by Henry Hallam (1847)
"These reasonings, which are surely no unfavourable specimen of the subtle philosopher (as Scotus was called), were met by ockham with others which sometimes ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Ockham