Definition of Ocyurus chrysurus
1. Noun. Superior food fish of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean with broad yellow stripe along the sides and on the tail.
Generic synonyms: Snapper
Group relationships: Genus Ocyurus, Ocyurus
Ocyurus Chrysurus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ocyurus Chrysurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ocyurus Chrysurus
Literary usage of Ocyurus chrysurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"THE YELLOW-TAIL (ocyurus chrysurus) The yellow-tail is a very handsome fish, and one of the favorite pan-fishes at Key West. It was named chrysurus, ..."
2. Bass, Pike, Perch and Other Game Fishes of America by James Alexander Henshall (1919)
"... (ocyurus chrysurus) The yellow-tail is a very handsome fish, and one of the favorite pan-fishes at Key West. It was named chrysurus, or "gold-tail," by ..."
3. Popular Science Monthly (1906)
"... synagris with ocyurus chrysurus. Nothing is known as to the fertility of any of these forms. The record of such hybrids shows how rare is the occurrence ..."
4. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"Yellow-tail Snapper, ocyurus chrysurus (Linnaeus). Key West. like nostrils and other notable peculiarities. From the standpoint of structure this species, ..."
5. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1920)
"40. Lutjanus griseus (Linne). 41. L. jocu (Schneider). K. 42. L. analis (Cuvier). K. 43. L. synagris (Linne). LK 44. ocyurus chrysurus (Bloch). KL 45. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Ocyurus chrysurus