Definition of Okeechobee
1. Noun. A lake in southeast Florida to the north of the Everglades.
Group relationships: Everglade State, Fl, Florida, Sunshine State
Generic synonyms: Lake
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Okeechobee Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Okeechobee
Literary usage of Okeechobee
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report of the Secretary of Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1892)
"The levee along the bank of the okeechobee will completely protect this portion of the ... A map of the region west of Lake okeechobee shows, in detail, ..."
2. Camp Life in Florida: A Handbook for Sportsmen and Settlers by Charles Hallock (1875)
"VISIT TO LAKE okeechobee. WE left the canoe beached, or, more properly speaking, mudded, on the north side of Fish Eating creek, and steered a course for ..."
3. Everglades of Florida: Acts, Reports, and Other Papers, State and National by Duncan Upshaw Fletcher (1911)
"This lowering of Lake okeechobee would remove the shallow, cold water off the glades, leaving a dry, warm soil radiating heat which now absorbs heat from ..."
4. History of the United States of America, from the Discovery to the Present Time by Henry Clay Watson (1854)
"On the 24th of December, 1837, Colonel Taylor succeeded in bringing the Indians to a general engagement at okeechobee. The action was a severe one, ..."
5. Nature's Strongholds: The World's Great Wildlife Reserves by Laura Riley, William Riley (2005)
"Others include Big Cypress National Preserve; Lake okeechobee and Lake Kissimmee; Corkscrew Swamp Audubon Sanctuary; Florida Bay; Fakahatchee Strand State ..."