Definition of Ommastrephes
1. Noun. Extremely active cylindrical squid with short strong arms and large rhombic terminal fins.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ommastrephes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ommastrephes
Literary usage of Ommastrephes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences by Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences (1882)
"In its anatomy this specie's resembles ommastrephes. ... The circulatory and renal systems are similar to those of ommastrephes, in most respects. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh by Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh (1888)
"ommastrephes ,, Hoyle, diali. Ceph., p. 162. Indian and Pacific Oceans. 5. ... Roy. Irish Acad., i., p. 363, figs. 1-7. 1850. ommastrephes ..."
3. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1881)
"Verrill, Tr. Conn. Ac. vp 223 [Feb. 1880], pi. xxi. figs. 1-9: and Am. J. Sci. (3) xix. p. 288. [This is ommastrephes, as defined by Steenstrup, supra.—REC. ..."
4. Bulletin by Natural History Society of New Brunswick (1887)
"Mytilus edulis. 2. Destructive to young fish. See ommastrephes ... ommastrephes sagittatus Ferussac. [Verrill thinks that this species is not identical with ..."