Definition of Ononis
1. Noun. Genus of European subshrubs or herbs having pink or purple or yellow solitary or clustered flowers: restharrow.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Papilionoideae, Subfamily Papilionoideae
Member holonyms: Ononis Repens, Rest-harrow, Restharrow, Ononis Spinosa, Rest-harrow, Restharrow
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ononis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ononis
Literary usage of Ononis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Contribution to Our Knowledge of Seedlings by John Lubbock (1892)
"ononis Natrix, DC. (fig. 270). Hypocotyl subterranean. Cotyledons shortly and broadly oblong, obtuse, densely hairy, 8-5 mm. long, 7 mm. broad; ..."
2. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"... or rest-harrow, two species of which, ononis antiquorum, and particularly O. leio- sperma, Boiss., are very common in the Holy Land. ..."
3. Hand-book of Chemistry by Leopold Gmelin, Henry Watts (1866)
"It is withdrawn from its aqueous solution by animal charcoal containing lime (Lade). Appendix to Glycyrrhizin. ononis-glycyrrhizin. ..."
4. The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species by Charles Darwin (1896)
"... flowers—Vun- dellia—ononis—Impatiens—Drosera—Miscellaneous observations on various other ... ononis ..."