Definition of Onopordon acanthium
1. Noun. Biennial Eurasian white hairy thistle having pale purple flowers; naturalized in North America.
Generic synonyms: Thistle
Group relationships: Genus Onopordon, Genus Onopordum, Onopordon, Onopordum
Onopordon Acanthium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Onopordon Acanthium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Onopordon Acanthium
Literary usage of Onopordon acanthium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1898)
"onopordon acanthium L. Sp. PI. 827. 1753. Biennial, white-tomentose all over; stem usually much branched, leafy, 3°-9° high. Leaves oblong, lobed and ..."
2. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"ST. BARNABY'S. Centaurea solstitialis. —, SCOTTISH. onopordon acanthium, one of the plants considered to be the emblem of Scotland. —, SOW. ..."
3. C.E. Hobbs' Botanical Hand-book: Of Common Local, English, Botanical and by Charles E. Hobbs (1876)
"... spinosa. analogous to Ononis spinosa. tt tt tt Rt. diu. det. ape. tt tt Ju. external^ in cancer. see onopordon acanthium. see Onosmodium Virginianum. tt ..."
4. General Laws of California, as Amended Up to the End of the Session of 1909 by California (1909)
"... otherwise known as Russian thistle, and onopordon acanthium, otherwise known as Scotch thistle, ..."
5. General Laws of the State of California, as Amended to the End of the by California (1910)
"... otherwise known as Russian thistle, and onopordon acanthium, otherwise known as Scotch thistle, and Cnicus lanceolatus, otherwise known as bull thistle, ..."
6. General Laws of the State of California: As Amended Up to the End of the by California (1916)
"... otherwise known as sian thistle, and onopordon acanthium, otherwise known as Scotch thistle, ..."