Definition of Oophoron
1. an ovary [n -S] - See also: ovary
Medical Definition of Oophoron
1. Rarely used term for ovary. Origin: G. Oon, egg, + phoros, bearing (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oophoron Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oophoron
Literary usage of Oophoron
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgery, Its Principles and Practice by William Williams Keen (1906)
"In a very early stage it is easy to demonstrate the relation of such a cyst to the oophoron. As the cyst enlarges it causes rapid absorption of the ..."
2. Practitioner's medical dictionary by George Milbry Gould (1910)
"Oophorectomy (oo-for-ek'-to-me) [oophoron; ... Oophoritis (o-oj-or-i'-tis) [oophoron; me, inflammation]. Inflammation of the ovary. ..."
3. The British Gynaecological Journal by British Gynaecological Society (1888)
"Having localised the situation of ovarian dermoids to the oophoron, the task became simple, but laborious, for it involved a large amount of histological ..."
4. Transactions of the Obstetrical Society of London by Obstetrical Society of London (1890)
"A sagittal section shows the enlargement is co u fined to the oophoron; ... The oophoron is composed of cystic spaces ; the walls of the cyst are composed ..."