Definition of Opossum shrimp
1. Noun. Shrimp-like crustaceans whose females carry eggs and young in a pouch between the legs.
Group relationships: Genus Mysis, Mysis, Genus Praunus, Praunus
Opossum Shrimp Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Opossum Shrimp Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Opossum Shrimp
Literary usage of Opossum shrimp
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Book of Shells: Containing the Classes Mollusca, Conchifera, Cirrhipeda (1837)
"... appearance which it gives to the breakers, so as to ren- " der them visible at a considerable distance." THE opossum shrimp, (Mysis ..."
2. The aquarium; its inhabitants, structure and management by John Ellor Taylor (1881)
"the opossum shrimp it opens its mouth, and inflates its cheeks so as to cause an in-rush of ... The opossum shrimp may be seen swarming in the water Fig. ..."
3. The London Literary Gazette and Journal of Belles Lettres, Arts, Sciences, Etc (1829)
"Independent of the variety of new matter era- bodied in this memoir, and the satisfactory display of the structure of the opossum shrimp in the accompanying ..."
4. Zoology: Being a Systematic Account of the General Structure, Habits by William Benjamin Carpenter, William Sweetland Dallas (1867)
"As connecting this Order with the last family of the preceding, we may first notice the curious genus Mysis, or Opossum-Shrimp ; which bears, in its general ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Opossum shrimp