Definition of Oral cavity
1. Noun. The opening through which food is taken in and vocalizations emerge. "He stuffed his mouth with candy"
Terms within: Dentition, Teeth, Clapper, Glossa, Lingua, Tongue, Buccal Cavity, Gingiva, Gum, Palate, Roof Of The Mouth, Salivary Gland
Group relationships: Mouth
Specialized synonyms: Cakehole, Gob, Hole, Maw, Trap, Yap
Generic synonyms: Rima
Derivative terms: Mouth, Mouth, Mouth
Definition of Oral cavity
1. Noun. (medicine) mouth ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Oral cavity
1. The region consisting of the vestibulum oris, the narrow cleft between the lips and cheeks, and the teeth and gums, and the cavitas oris propria. Synonym: cavitas oris, cavum oris, mouth. (05 Mar 2000)
Oral Cavity Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oral Cavity Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oral Cavity
Literary usage of Oral cavity
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Development of the Chick: An Introduction to Embryology by Frank Rattray Lillie (1908)
"The mouth and oral cavity. 2. The pharynx and its derivatives. 3. ... I. MOUTH AND oral cavity The oral cavity may be defined embryologically as that part ..."
2. Racial/Ethnic Patterns of Cancer in the United States, 1988-1992 edited by Barry A. Miller (1997)
"oral cavity Cancer of the oral cavity includes the following subsides: lip ... For the SEER areas, incidence rates for oral cavity cancer are two to four ..."
3. Microscopical Morphology of the Animal Body in Health and Disease by Carl Heitzmann (1882)
"... connective tissue, freely supplied with blood- and lymph-vessels, is found in the walls of the oral cavity, forming papillae, which reach their highest ..."
4. Outlines of Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates by John Sterling Kingsley (1917)
"THE oral cavity The cavity of the mouth is limited anteriorly by the line of the ... In the cyclostomes the oral cavity is funnel-shaped, with a circular or ..."
5. A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story by Andrei Maylunas (2005)
"One hundred fifty-seven male cases of oral cavity cancer, 134 of pharyngeal ... Odds ratios for current smokers of cigarettes were 11.1 for oral cavity, ..."
6. Text-book of the embryology of man and mammals by Oscar Hertwig, Edward Laurens Mark (1905)
"A. T/te Or/jans of the oral cavity : Tongue, Salivary Glands, aiid Teeth. ... the floor of the oral cavity in the space surrounded by the mandibular ridges. ..."
7. Manual of Human Histology by Albert Kölliker, George Busk (1854)
"OF THE oral cavity. A. OF THE MUCOUS MEMBRANE OF THE ORAL ... On the floor of the oral cavity, on the anterior surface of the epiglottis, and especially ..."
8. Gymnastics of the Voice for Song and Speech: Also a Method for the Cure of by Oskar Guttmann (1893)
"The functions of the chest, in respect to respiration, will be fully explained in Part IV. SECTION 2. THE oral cavity (Fie. ..."