Definition of Orbignya
1. Noun. Palms of southern Mexico to northern South America: babassu palm.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Arecaceae, Family Arecaceae, Family Palmaceae, Family Palmae, Palm Family, Palmaceae, Palmae
Member holonyms: Babassu, Babassu Palm, Coco De Macao, Orbignya Martiana, Orbignya Phalerata, Orbignya Spesiosa, Cohune, Cohune Palm, Orbignya Cohune
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Orbignya Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Orbignya
Literary usage of Orbignya
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Structural and Systematic Conchology: An Introduction to the Study of the by George Washington Tryon (1884)
"D'orbignya, Woodward, 1862. ... d'orbignya, but it presents the further peculiarity of an indefinite number of pallial ..."
2. Riches of the Forest: Fruits, Remedies and Handicrafts in Latin America by Citlalli López Binnqüist, Patricia Shanley, Alfredo Celso Fantini (2004)
"... (orbignya phalerata Martius) e sua exploracao na regiao dos cocais, Maranhao, ... JMF 1995 Integral processing of babassu palm (orbignya phalerata, ..."
3. A Manual of the Mollusca: Being a Treatise on Recent and Fossil Shellsby Samuel Peckworth Woodward, Ralph Tate by Samuel Peckworth Woodward, Ralph Tate (1875)
"... inflection" as in D'orbignya, but presents the further peculiarity of an indefinite number of pal- lial ..."
4. Structural and Systematic Conchology: An Introduction to the Study of the by George Washington Tryon (1882)
"... inflection" as in d'orbignya, but it presents the further peculiarity of an indefinite number of pallial ..."