Definition of Order Psittaciformes
1. Noun. An order of birds including parrots and amazons and cockatoos and lorikeets and lories and macaws and parakeets.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Aves, Class Aves
Member holonyms: Parrot, Family Psittacidae, Psittacidae
Order Psittaciformes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Order Psittaciformes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Order Psittaciformes
Literary usage of Order Psittaciformes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Our Vanishing Wild Life: Its Extermination and Preservation by William Temple Hornaday (1913)
"This parrakeet is the only member of its order that ranged into the United States during our own times, and with its disappearance the order Psittaciformes ..."
2. The Valley of Kashmír by Walter Roper Lawrence (1895)
"I have seen it in the Munshi bagh, in many parts of the valley, and in several of the side Nalas, though never at any great elevation. Order PSITTACIFORMES. ..."
3. British Central Africa: An Attempt to Give Some Account of a Portion of the by Harry Hamilton Johnston (1898)
"Bucorvus coffer ; the ground Hornbill. HOOPOES AND TREE-HOOPOES. Upupa africana.; the African Hoopoe. Order, PSITTACIFORMES. PARROTS. ..."
4. The Journal of Comparative Pathology and Therapeutics (1888)
"Four papers record Newcastle disease in birds belonging to the order Psittaciformes and presumably to the Family Psittacidae. ..."