Definition of Oriental cockroach
1. Noun. Dark brown cockroach originally from orient now nearly cosmopolitan in distribution.
Generic synonyms: Cockroach, Roach
Group relationships: Blatta, Genus Blatta
Oriental Cockroach Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oriental Cockroach Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oriental Cockroach
Literary usage of Oriental cockroach
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. How to Recognize and Eliminate Silverfish, Beetles, Cockroaches, Moths by Thomas A. Parker (1991)
"The oriental cockroach. - The oriental cockroach (Figure 10) FIGURE 10. - The oriental cockroach, Blatta orientalis (L.). The male is on the left and female ..."
2. Class Book of Economic Entomology: With Special Reference to the Economic by William Lochhead (1919)
"Upper wings have a dash of yellow on each side. Abundant in the south. 3. oriental cockroach (Blatta orientalis Fol.) or "black beetle," is a nearly ..."
3. Insects Injurious to the Household and Annoying to Man by Glenn Washington Herrick (1914)
"oriental cockroach, (x J.) roded appearance. It seemed that the American ... The third species, Blatta oriental™, is known as the oriental cockroach (Fig. ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"The oriental cockroach (Periplaneta orientalis) is derived from tropical Asia, and is supposed to have been introduced into Europe two or three centuries ..."
5. Annual Report by Entomological Society of Ontario, Ontario. Dept. of Agriculture (1894)
"The oriental cockroach is the common species in England, where it is known in the household by the name of " the black beetle. ..."
6. Nature Sketches in Temperate America: A Series of Sketches and a Popular by Joseph Lane Hancock (1911)
"... various foodstuffs made of wheat flour. Eggs to the number of thirty-six contained in the ootheca; 76. 103. oriental cockroach Blatta oriental is (Linn. ..."