Definition of Orontium
1. Noun. One species of aquatic plant: golden club.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Araceae, Arum Family, Family Araceae
Member holonyms: Golden Club, Orontium Aquaticum
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Orontium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Orontium
Literary usage of Orontium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biltmore Nursery, Biltmore, N.C. (1907)
"... without the rampant character of its parent. In cultivation it is more desirable than the Cape Cod Pink Pond-Lily which it closely resembles. orontium ..."
2. A Botanical Materia Medica: Consisting of the Generic and Specific by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"orontium aquaticum. Leaves lanceolate and oval. Obs. 8713. ... Leaf oblongo-lanceolate. Obs. 8713. orontium aquaticum. Schoepf 49. 2. ..."
3. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"orontium L. Sp. PI. 324. 1753. Aquatic herbs, with thick rootstocks buried in the mud, ... orontium aquaticum L. Golden-club. Floating Arum. Fig. 1118. ..."
4. A Dictionary of Science, Literature, & Art: Comprising the Definitions and by George William Cox (1866)
"orontium, Calla, river ... Orpheus.') properties of this order are acrid. orontium, I Orpiment (Lat. ..."