Definition of Orycteropus afer
1. Noun. Nocturnal burrowing mammal of the grasslands of Africa that feeds on termites; sole extant representative of the order Tubulidentata.
Generic synonyms: Eutherian, Eutherian Mammal, Placental, Placental Mammal
Group relationships: Genus Orycteropus, Orycteropus
Orycteropus Afer Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Orycteropus Afer Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Orycteropus Afer
Literary usage of Orycteropus afer
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Jock of the Bushveld by Percy Fitzpatrick (1907)
"ANTBEAR, AARDVARK (D) (orycteropus afer). ANT-HEAP, mound made by termites or ' white ants.' Usually formed by one colony of ..."
2. South-West Africa by William Eveleigh (1915)
"That strange creature, the ant-bear, or Dutch aard vark, orycteropus afer, which lives entirely on ants and termites, is responsible for a good deal of ..."
3. Sport in East Central Africa: Being an Account of Hunting Trips in by Frederick Vaughan Kirby (1899)
"Throughout Northern Portuguese Zambesia and the Mozambique Province the ant-bear (orycteropus afer), the caracal (Felis caracal), the Kaffir cat (Felis ..."
4. Southern Africa: South Africa * Namibia * Botswana * Zimbabweby Bernard Joliat by Bernard Joliat (2000)
"There are Aardvark orycteropus afer The name comes from the Afrikaans for"earth pig".This Rot or pachyderm? four kinds of pangolins in Africa, ..."