Definition of Osteostraci
1. Noun. Extinct group of armored fish-like vertebrates; taxonomy is not clear.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Order Ostracodermi, Ostracodermi
Member holonyms: Cephalaspid, Osteostracan
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Osteostraci Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Osteostraci
Literary usage of Osteostraci
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report of the Annual Meeting (1900)
"The osteostraci are distinguished from the ... are usually made to include two other groups or orders, namely the osteostraci and the ..."
2. Publication by Palaeontographical Society (Great Britain) (1870)
"Scales, Fins, and Form of the Body in osteostraci. ... clearly shows that they are not; but as yet the only osteostraci (the only ..."
3. Geological Magazine by Henry Woodward (1900)
"... belongs to the osteostraci there is thus not the smallest doubt, ... and the osteostraci. And I hare not seen reason to depart from that opinion even ..."
4. The Journal of Anatomy and Physiology by Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1900)
"... 2, the osteostraci, divisible into two families, ... and osteostraci are the oldest, and among them the ..."