Definition of Ovate leaf
1. Noun. An egg-shaped leaf with the broader end at the base.
Ovate Leaf Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ovate Leaf Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ovate Leaf
Literary usage of Ovate leaf
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lessons with Plants: Suggestions for Seeing and Interpreting Some of the by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1907)
"In these combinations, the second word is the one which is to be chiefly emphasized; that is, an oblong- ovate leaf is one which is more ovate than oblong, ..."
2. Flora of Pennsylvania by Thomas Conrad Porter (1903)
"Corolla-lobes ovate : leaf-blades mainly broadest below the middle : seeds winged. Corolla-lobes twice as long as the plaits, acute : leaf-blades of a ..."
3. First Lessons with Plants: Being an Abridgement of "Lessons with Plants by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1898)
"... is that of the ovate leaf. This is about twice as long as broad, tapering from near the base to a narrow or pointed apex. The leaf at a in Fig. ..."
4. The Botanical Register by Sydenham Edwards, John Bellenden Ker (1815)
"... the figure in Dr. Smith's " Spicilegium," which we should have taken for our plant, but for the indented ray, no simple ovate leaf being shown therc. ..."
5. Familiar Lectures on Botany: Explaining the Structure, Classification, and by Lincoln Phelps (1854)
"When the length is much greater than the breadth, the leaf is said to be elliptical, as at d In the ovate leaf, the veins next lite base are longest ..."
6. The Child's Botany by Samuel Griswold Goodrich (1831)
"ovate leaf. Shaped like an egg : as an apple leaf. Obovate. The same as ovate, ... What is an ovate leaf I What is an obovate leaf ? What is an oval leaf ? ..."
7. The New American Botanist and Florist: Including Lessons in the Structure by Alphonso Wood (1889)
"... has one spotted ovate leaf and large yellow-red butterfly-shaped flowers. ... with a single ovate leaf; rac. elongated, 20-40-flowered ; pedicel« about ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Ovate leaf