¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Oviposition
1. [n -S]
Medical Definition of Oviposition
1. Act of laying or depositing eggs by insects. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oviposition Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oviposition
Literary usage of Oviposition
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Review of Applied Entomology by Commonwealth Institute of Entomology, Imperial Bureau of Entomology (1916)
"oviposition begins and continues for about a month. The eggs are probably not fastened to the leaves. The duration of the larval stage is from 30 to 35 days ..."
2. Text-book of the Embryology of Invertebrates by Eugen Korschelt, Karl Heider, Edward Laurens Mark, William McMichael Woodworth, Matilda Bernard, Martin Fountain Woodward (1900)
"oviposition and Character of the Egg-capsules and Egg. The ... An exceedingly simple method of oviposition is found in ..."
3. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society by Cambridge Philosophical Society (1892)
"(4) On the oviposition of Agelena ... [Abstract; reprinted from the Cambridge University Reporter, Nov. 18, 1890.] The oviposition and cocooning of Agelena ..."
4. Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science by Indiana Academy of Science (1922)
"oviposition then follows copulation V>efore or during oviposition. SEASONAL DISTRIBUTION OF NUMBER IN BROOD. Preliminary measurements indicated that the ..."
5. Proceedings of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1882)
"ON THE oviposition OF ... IN his paper treating of this insect, read at the Boston meeting, the author stated that oviposition had not been observed. ..."
6. On the Anatomy of Vertebrates by Richard Owen (1866)
"oviposition of Reptiles.—I do not know particulars of this process in the ... Bell) frequently glues the egg in the axilla of the leaf.2 oviposition of the ..."