Definition of Packing nut
1. Noun. A nut used to tighten a stuffing box.
Packing Nut Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Packing Nut Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Packing Nut
Literary usage of Packing nut
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Natural Gas Association of America, Modern Language Association of America (1917)
"TOOL FOR STARTING METER packing nut. WAI. TAYLOR, THE EAST OHIO GAS CO., ... This little tool is very handy for putting pressure on the packing nut in the ..."
2. Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia by Andrew Lee Dyke (1920)
"The pump requires no attention, other than to see that it does not become choked by using dirty water. There is a "packing nut" on the shaft, which, ..."
3. Repressive Legislation of the Republic of South Africa by Elizabeth S. Landis, United Nations Unit on Apartheid (1879)
"Piston-rod Packing-nut, for Engine and Air-pump of Westinghouse-brake. A nut which screws on the stuffing-box of the piston-rod and by which the packing is ..."
4. The Science of Railways by Marshall Monroe Kirkman (1915)
"The valve stem K is held between the packing nut R and valve stem nut M. Set screw B prevents the nut M from turning. In order to tighten the packing turn ..."
5. Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia by Andrew Lee Dyke (1916)
"There is a "packing nut" on the shaft, which, if the pump should ever leak around the shaft ... This can very easily be done by turning off the packing nut, ..."
6. The Car-builder's Dictionary: An Illustrated Vocabulary of Terms which ...by Master Car-Builders' Association, Matthias Nace Forney, Arthur Mellen Wellington, Leander Garey, Calvin A. Smith by Master Car-Builders' Association, Matthias Nace Forney, Arthur Mellen Wellington, Leander Garey, Calvin A. Smith (1895)
"A metal ring which encircles the piston-rod, and which is forced into the stuffing-box and against the packing. which is then compressed by the packing-nut ..."
7. Car Builders' Cyclopedia of American Practice by American Railway Association, Master Car Builders' Association, Mechanical Division, Association of American Railroads (1881)
"Piston-rod Packing-nut, */or Engine and Air-pump of Westinghouse-brake. ... Piston-rod Packing-nut, for Westinghouse Driving-wheel Brake. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Packing nut