Definition of Paddle-wheeler
1. Noun. A steam vessel propelled by paddle wheels.
Specialized synonyms: Side-wheeler, Sternwheeler
Generic synonyms: Steamer, Steamship
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Paddle-wheeler Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Paddle-wheeler
Literary usage of Paddle-wheeler
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Adventure Guide to the Alaska Highway by Ed Readicker-Henderson (2006)
"Next door is the Steamer Keno, a nicely restored old paddle-wheeler. The steamers were used to bring gold down to Whitehorse and supplies up to the miners; ..."
2. The Memories of Sir Llewelyn Turner: Memories Serious and Light of the Irish by Llewelyn Turner, J. E. Vincent (1903)
"... ironclads) was HMS Lucifer, a paddle-wheeler. For some reason or other her name was changed to Eclair. She was not a post ship, but under a commander, ..."
3. The Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine by Roy J. Friedman Mark Twain Collection (Library of Congress) (1913)
"... when young Sam Clemens was crying out "Mark Twain," a paddle-wheeler plied between New Orleans and Vicksburg—but this gossip is beneath the dignity of ..."
4. Old-world questions and New-world answers by Daniel Pidgeon (1885)
"First, the high and labouring paddle-wheeler comes into view from out of the river mist, and, presently, separated from her ..."
5. Bound to Be Free by Richard B. McKenzie (1982)
"... presidents now take annual vacations, for example, down the Mississippi on an old paddle-wheeler, for one simple purpose: to manage the news. ..."
6. Adventure Guide to the Chesapeake Bay by Barbara Radcliffe Rogers, Stillman Rogers (2000)
"... a replica of the paddle wheeler steamboats that once plied Baltimore's harbor. Inexpensive after- work cruises on Friday are from 5:30 to 7:30; ..."
7. Adventure Guide to the Champlain and Hudson River Valleys: Including the by Patricia Foulke, Robert Foulke (2001)
"This 600- passenger paddle wheeler, named Captain JP, offers a number of cruises on the Hudson River, including lunch and dinner cruises and a downriver ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Paddle-wheeler