Definition of Papaverales
1. Noun. An order of dicotyledonous plants.
Generic synonyms: Plant Order
Member holonyms: Caper Family, Capparidaceae, Family Capparidaceae, Brassicaceae, Cruciferae, Family Brassicaceae, Family Cruciferae, Mustard Family, Family Papaveraceae, Papaveraceae, Poppy Family, Family Fumariaceae, Fumariaceae, Fumitory Family
Group relationships: Dilleniidae, Subclass Dilleniidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Papaverales Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Papaverales
Literary usage of Papaverales
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Flora of Miami: Being Descriptions of the Seed-plants Growing Naturally on by John Kunkel Small (1913)
"Sepals imbricated. Calyx deciduous. Order papaverales. Calyx persistent. Styles or stigmas distinct or united, but not discoid ..."
2. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1903)
"From this group it is thought most of the higher Dicotyledons have sprung. The papaverales are distinguished from the preceding by their united carpels and ..."
3. Handbook of the Flora of Philadelphia and Vicinity: Containing Data Relating by Ida Augusta Keller, Stewardson Brown (1905)
"RESEDACEAE IN papaverales 154 Pistil one as to ovary; the styles or stigmas may be ... Calyx deciduous papaverales 154 Calyx persistent, of 3-5 sepals. ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"papaverales. Trees or shrubs in some cases, but mostly herbs, usually with colored juices or pungent properties. Flowers radially or occasionally ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Papaverales