Definition of Parkways
1. Noun. (plural of parkway) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Parkways
1. parkway [n] - See also: parkway
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Parkways Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Parkways
parkways (current term)
Literary usage of Parkways
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The First County Park System: A Complete History of the Inception and by Frederick Wallace Kelsey (1905)
"THE parkways. A full record of all that has occurred in connection with the parkways for the Essex County parks would fill volumes. ..."
2. Ruling Case Law as Developed and Established by the Decisions and by William Mark McKinney, Burdett Alberto Rich (1916)
"parkways and Pleasure Drives.—The legislature may authorize the laying out of parkways, boulevards, and pleasure drives in cities and villages, ..."
3. Modern Civic Art: Or, The City Made Beautiful by Charles Mulford Robinson (1903)
"parkways. THE necessity, when we would consider parkways by themselves, of removing them from the group of city thoroughfares into which they had naturally ..."
4. Municipal Engineering Practice by Amory Prescott Folwell (1916)
"PARKS AND parkways THE parks found in a city vary in area from a small open space ... parkways include the parked strip along a sidewalk and the much more ..."
5. Report Upon the Development of Public Grounds for Greater Baltimore by Olmsted Brothers, Municipal Art Society of Baltimore (1904)
"It is desirable that these public buildings should front on the parkways and have such liberal settings as they can have only in this way and the investment ..."
6. Charles Eliot, Landscape Architect: A Lover of Nature and of His Kind, who by Charles William Eliot (1902)
"METROPOLITAN parkways. . . . With respect to the general principles on which the routes of parkways to be paid for by the metropolitan district ought to be ..."
7. Comprehensive Plan of Newark: The City Plan Commission, Newark, New Jersey by Newark (N.J.). City Plan Commission (1915)
"It is difficult to say how far a system of parkways can wisely be extended, so much important development being already under way. ..."