Definition of Patrick henry
1. Noun. A leader of the American Revolution and a famous orator who spoke out against British rule of the American colonies (1736-1799).
Generic synonyms: American Revolutionary Leader, Orator, Public Speaker, Rhetorician, Speechifier, Speechmaker
Patrick Henry Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Patrick Henry Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Patrick Henry
Literary usage of Patrick henry
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library of Southern Literature by Edwin Anderson Alderman, Joel Chandler Harris, Charles William Kent (1910)
"patrick henry WE do not commonly associate humor with patrick henry, but few lawyers have had greater skill in turning ridicule to their service. ..."
2. The Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries by John Austin Stevens, Benjamin Franklin DeCosta, Martha Joanna Lamb, Henry Phelps Johnston, Nathan Gilbert Pond, William Abbatt (1892)
"He married in Virginia, and his son, patrick henry, was born in 1736. ... The following chapters lead to the great events with which patrick henry was ..."
3. The World's Best Orations: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by David Josiah Brewer, Edward Archibald Allen, William Schuyler (1899)
"... unlettered poets and prophets whose extemporaneous outbursts of higher intelligence forced its first civilization on Europe. patrick henry was born May ..."
4. The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography by Historical Society of Pennsylvania (1910)
"[In collecting material for his memoirs of the great Virginia orator Patrick Henry, William Wirt naturally turned to Jefferson, who for upwards of twenty ..."
5. Selections from Early American Writers, 1607-1800 by William B. Cairns (1909)
"patrick henry [patrick henry was one of the most famous of Revolutionary orators, though his reputation to-day rests mostly on tradition, and on confessedly ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Patrick henry