Definition of Pay up
1. Verb. Cancel or discharge a debt. "They pay up "; "Pay up, please!"
Generic synonyms: Pay
Specialized synonyms: Liquidate, Pay Off
Derivative terms: Pay, Payment, Payment
Definition of Pay up
1. Verb. (intransitive) To pay for something in total, after a certain amount of time after receiving a purchase. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Pay Up Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pay Up Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pay Up
Literary usage of Pay up
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Court of King's Bench: With by Great Britain Court of King's Bench, George Mifflin Wharton (1845)
"... and yet he must pay up to that autumn according to the renter value of the estate. He must pay before hand for the future probable produce. ..."
2. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1915)
"he says, and with that he up and brings suit to make Ed Sparks pay up. The case came up before old Judge Mallows, and Henery Sowden decided to be his own ..."
3. The Revised Reports: Being a Republication of Such Cases in the English by Frederick Pollock, Robert Campbell, Oliver Augustus Saunders, Arthur Beresford Cane, Joseph Gerald Pease, William Bowstead, Great Britain Courts (1907)
"The purpose of the clause was, that if some parties failed to pay up their capital, the others might, by contribution among themselves, or by the admission ..."
4. Richard to Minna Wagner: Letters to His First Wife by Richard Wagner (1909)
"... I may have it by Saturday and pay up everything here, otherwise I can't get home on Sunday [Nov. 23]. I received your last letter on Monday, ..."
5. Through America: Or, Nine Months in the United States by Walter Gore Marshall (1881)
"Then, if to prosper you desire, And wish to keep out of the fire- Nay, if you to be Saints aspire, Come forward and pay up your tithing. ..."