Definition of Peace lily
1. Noun. Any of various plants of the genus Spathiphyllum having a white or green spathe and a spike of fragrant flowers and often cultivated as an ornamental.
Generic synonyms: Flower
Group relationships: Genus Spathiphyllum
Peace Lily Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Peace Lily Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Peace Lily
Literary usage of Peace lily
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Knickerbocker: Or, New-York Monthly Magazine by Charles Fenno Hoffman, Timothy Flint, Lewis Gaylord Clark, Kinahan Cornwallis, John Holmes Agnew (1861)
"When sweet Peace, lily- crowned, is again with us, then you may move to milder measures. A vermilion edict Obey I - - - NEXT to the reigning WAR itself, ..."
2. The Great English Short-story Writers: With Introductory Essays by William James Dawson, Coningsby Dawson (1910)
"That afternoon she sat with her needle-work at the window, and felt fairly steeped in peace. Lily Dyer, tall and erect and blooming, went past; ..."
3. Blue flag and cloth of gold by Anna Bartlett Warner (1880)
"Clover works at her plants and leaves her cuttings in peace ; Lily pulls up her cuttings, and—what shall I say about this young mallows, Lily, ..."
4. Gloucestershire Notes and Queries: An Illustrated Quarterly Magazine Devoted edited by William Phillimore Watts Phillimore, Sidney Joseph Madge (1890)
"Here rests in peace Lily, wife of Charles James Barton, Colonel Boyal Artillery. Born 11th May, 1835. Died 6th Novr, 1871. 12. ..."