Definition of Pennyroyal oil
1. Noun. Oil from European pennyroyal having an odor like mint; used chiefly in soaps.
2. Noun. Aromatic oil from American pennyroyal.
Substance meronyms: American Pennyroyal, Hedeoma Pulegioides, Pennyroyal
Generic synonyms: Oil
Pennyroyal Oil Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pennyroyal Oil Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pennyroyal Oil
Literary usage of Pennyroyal oil
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pharmaceutical and Food Analysis: A Manual of Standard Methods for the by Azor Thurston (1922)
"Oil of turpentine appears to be the common adulterant of pennyroyal oil and this would be detected by applying the solubility test in 70 per cent, alcohol. ..."
2. Allen's Commercial Organic Analysis: A Treatise on the Properties, Modes of by Alfred Henry Allen (1911)
"True pennyroyal oil is from the herb of Mentha pulegium; American oil from ... Adulteration with turpentine oil lowers the sp. gr. and bp of pennyroyal oil, ..."
3. The Volatile Oils by Eduard Gildemeister, Friedrich Hoffmann (1900)
"European pennyroyal oil is of a yellowish or reddish- yellow color and of a strong, ... European pennyroyal oil has a boiling temperature of limited range. ..."
4. A Practical Treatise on Animal and Vegetable Fats and Oils: Comprising Both by William Theodore Brannt, Karl Schaedler (1896)
"Russian pennyroyal oil is limpid, and docs not solidify even at 1.4° F. On exposure to the air ... The use of pennyroyal oil has considerably decreased.de- ..."
5. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention (1902)
"... this so-called " discolored pennyroyal oil" to be nothing more or less than a solution of rosin in oil of turpentine, flavored with some pennyroyal oil. ..."
6. The Chemistry of Essential Oils and Artificial Perfumes by Ernest John Parry (1908)
"A Russian pennyroyal oil is known, which is obtained from a different plant, ... The American pennyroyal oil is distilled from a herb indigenous to North ..."