Definition of Periplaneta americana
1. Noun. Large reddish brown free-flying cockroach originally from southern United States but now widely distributed.
Generic synonyms: Cockroach, Roach
Group relationships: Genus Periplaneta, Periplaneta
Periplaneta Americana Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Periplaneta Americana Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Periplaneta Americana
Literary usage of Periplaneta americana
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1901)
"periplaneta americana. (Redrawn from Marlatt.) the Mantidae but the subsequent life history is little known, It is supposed that they grow very slowly. ..."
2. A Junior Course of Practical Zoology by Arthur Milnes Marshall (1899)
"periplaneta americana. THE common cockroach or ' black beetle ' of our kitchens and ... periplaneta americana ..."
3. Memoirs of the American Entomological Society by American Entomological Society (1916)
"periplaneta americana (Linnaeus). Big Pine Key, Florida. Male. Dorsal view of pronotum, ... periplaneta americana (Linnaeus). Key West, Florida. Female. ..."
4. Sanitary Entomology: The Entomology of Disease, Hygiene and Sanitation by William Dwight Pierce (1921)
"... Von Siebold is a parasite in the intestine of periplaneta americana. ... and Splendore is parasitic in Blatta orientalis a'nd periplaneta americana. ..."
5. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"(3) The American cockroach (periplaneta americana) probably originated in tropical America, whence it long ago spread to most of the seaport cities of the ..."
6. Observations of Injurious Insects and Common Farm Pests ... with Methods of by Eleanor Anne Ormerod (1898)
"At the Zoological Gardens in London, periplaneta americana, L., ... (MB) The periplaneta americana, the American Cockroach or Black Beetle, is yet another ..."
7. Preventive Medicine and Hygiene by Milton Joseph Rosenau, George Chandler Whipple, John William Trask, Thomas William Salmon (1921)
"They are periplaneta americana, Periplaneta australasiae, ... The main difference between periplaneta americana, and Periplaneta, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Periplaneta americana