Definition of Phalaenoptilus
1. Noun. A genus of Caprimulgidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Caprimulgidae, Family Caprimulgidae
Member holonyms: Phalaenoptilus Nuttallii, Poorwill
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Phalaenoptilus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phalaenoptilus
Literary usage of Phalaenoptilus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1899)
"Inhabits the western United States, east into Iowa and Missouri ; tuth into Mexico. Coues, 1865. 171. 418a. phalaenoptilus nuttalli nitidus ..."
2. Transactions of the Annual Meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science, Kansas Academy of Science Meeting (1899)
"phalaenoptilus nuttalli (Aud.) Poor-will. A common summer resident. Inhabits the western United States, east into Iowa and Missouri; south into Mexico. ..."
3. A Preliminary Catalog of the Birds of Missouri by Otto Widmann (1907)
"Eggs were taken June 1,1886, at Richmond, Kansas., within 35 miles of the state line. [418a. phalaenoptilus NUTTALLII NITIDUS ..."
4. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1907)
"phalaenoptilus nuttallii. POOR-WILL.— Common in both counties. Arrives from the middle to the end of May. I have not heard it call after the end of August. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Phalaenoptilus