Definition of Phylum porifera
1. Noun. Coextensive with the subkingdom Parazoa: sponges.
Group relationships: Parazoa, Subkingdom Parazoa
Member holonyms: Parazoan, Poriferan, Sponge, Sponge Genus, Class Hyalospongiae, Hyalospongiae
Generic synonyms: Phylum
Phylum Porifera Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Phylum Porifera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phylum Porifera
Literary usage of Phylum porifera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"CHAPTER IV phylum porifera THE members of the Phylum PORIFERA (Lat. parus, a pore, ferre, to bear) are commonly called sponges. The ordinary bath sponge of ..."
2. Zoology: An Elementary Text-book by Arthur Everett Shipley, Ernest William MacBride (1904)
"phylum porifera, 'I'HK ^r»up of the sponges or Porifera occupies an almost isolated position in the animal kingdom. ..."
3. General Zoology by Arthur Sperry Pearse (1917)
"CHAPTER XIV phylum porifera—SPONGES Porifera means "pore-bearers," and the sponges could not have been better named. The body of any sort of a sponge is ..."
4. A Laboratory Manual for Elementary Zoölogy by Libbie Henrietta Hyman (1919)
"phylum porifera 4 (3, n). With definite radial symmetry. 5 5 (io). Relatively simple animals, without anus, ... A few members of the phylum porifera 7 (6). ..."