Definition of Pickeringia montana
1. Noun. Spiny evergreen xerophytic shrub having showy rose and purple flowers and forming dense thickets; of dry rocky mountain slopes of California.
Group relationships: Genus Pickeringia, Pickeringia
Generic synonyms: Bush, Shrub
Pickeringia Montana Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pickeringia Montana Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pickeringia Montana
Literary usage of Pickeringia montana
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Some American Medical Botanists Commemorated in Our Botanical Nomenclature by Howard Atwood Kelly (1914)
"CHARLES PICKERING 1805-1878 pickeringia montana*—NUTTALL Charles Pickering, known to the scientific world as an anthropologist and botanist, was of good New ..."
2. Flora of Los Angeles and Vicinity by Le Roy Abrams (1904)
"(pickeringia montana Nutt.) Occasional in the chaparral belt throughout our range. 3. LUPINUS L. LUPINE. Annual or perennial herbs or woody plants, ..."
3. Plant-geography Upon a Physiological Basis by Andreas Franz Wilhelm Schimper (1903)
"4. C. papillosus, Torr, et Gray. 5. pickeringia montana, Nutt. 6. Quercus dumosa, Nutt. From specimens in Prof. Dudley's Herbarium. ..."
4. Report on the United States and Mexican Boundary Survey: Made Under the by United States Department of the Interior, William Hemsley Emory, Spencer Fullerton Baird, Charles Frederic Girard, Timothy Abbott Conrad, George Engelmann, James Hall, Charles Christopher Parry, Arthur Carl Victor Schott, John Torrey (1858)
"pickeringia montana, Nutt. in Torr. and Gray, Fl. 1, p. 389.—(Tab. XIV.) Hills near Monterey, May; Parry. The fruit of this interesting shrub is still a ..."
5. The Wild Flowers of California: Their Names, Haunts, and Habits by Mary Elizabeth Parsons (1906)
"pickeringia montana, Nutt. Hab. —The Coast Ranges, from Lake County to San Diego. Upon wild mountain-slopes where are heard the flutelike notes of a certain ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Pickeringia montana