Definition of Pickets
1. Noun. (plural of picket) ¹
2. Verb. (third-person singular of picket) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Pickets
1. picket [v] - See also: picket
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pickets Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pickets
Literary usage of Pickets
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Invasion of the Crimea: Its Origin and an Account of Its Progress Down by Alexander William Kinglake (1875)
"Of the pickets on duty during the eve and until the early morning of the ... The new pickets which took up the ground on the morning of the battle were, ..."
2. The Rebellion Record: A Diary of American Events by Frank Moore, Edward Everett (1867)
"horses and men, and arrived at Bayou Boeuf л 4:20 p. M., having driven in the pickets of ù enemy for six miles. I at once took possess'. ..."
3. The Story of the Woman's Party by Inez Haynes Gillmore (1921)
"The Court and the pickets " So long as you send women to prison for asking for justice, so long will women be ready to go in such a cause. ..."
4. Technique of Modern Tactics: A Study of Troop Leading Methods in the by Paul Stanley Bond, Michael Joseph McDonough (1916)
"The pickets maintain patrol communication with adjacent pickets and patrols ... In special cases, if so directed, large pickets may send reconnoitering ..."
5. A Rebel War Clerk's Diary at the Confederate States Capital by John Beauchamp Jones (1866)
"Ewell received a dispatch that our pickets were driven in at ... Our pickets were driven in, but were soon re-established in their former positions. ..."
6. The Civil War in Song and Story, 1860-1865 by Frank Moore (1889)
"Another servant took her side-saddle to the horse, when the heroine appeared, and, mounting the animal, rode off in open day right through the pickets, ..."
7. Lumber Manufacture in the Douglas Fir Region by Howard B. Oakleaf (1920)
"2 Clr. and Better material under the following specifications (1917): Square pickets will admit minor defects, such as slight roughness in dressing, ..."