Definition of Pleon
1. the abdomen of a crustacean [n -S] : PLEONAL, PLEONIC [adj]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pleon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pleon
Literary usage of Pleon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A History of Crustacea: Recent Malacostraca by Thomas Roscoe Rede Stebbing (1893)
"It is also worth remembering that when the shape of the pleon leaves the sex of a crab ambiguous, that may be taken as an indication that some curious ..."
2. Catalogue of the Specimens of Amphipodous Crustacea in the Collection of the by Charles Spence Bate (1862)
"pleon six-jointed. Telson small, triangular, sub- acute at apex. Inferior antennae long, five-jointed; first, second, and third joints long and equal; ..."
3. A History of the British Sessile-eyed Crustacea by Charles Spence Bate, John Obadiah Westwood (1868)
"The anterior segments of the pleon bulge very much, assuming the appearance of one of the segments of the ..."
4. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1866)
"Upon this latter feature he has classified them as A. The pleon terminating in two sharp-pointed appendages. B. The pleon terminating in two flat appendages ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Pleon