Definition of Podilymbus
1. Noun. A genus of Podicipedidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Podicipedidae, Podicipedidae
Member holonyms: Pied-billed Grebe, Podilymbus Podiceps
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Podilymbus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Podilymbus
Literary usage of Podilymbus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1895)
"GENUS podilymbus LESSON. podilymbus LESS. Trait6, I. 1831, 595. ... podilymbus podiceps LAWR. in BAIRD'S BN Am. 1858, 898. [B 709, C 614, R 735. C 852. ..."
2. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"podilymbus podiceps LAWR. in BAIRD'S BN Am. 1858, 898. [B 709, C 614, R 735, C 852.] HAB. British Provinces southward to Brazil, Buenos Ayres, and Chili, ..."
3. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1904)
"It is well exemplified in podilymbus, where we find the glosso- hyal performed ... with the free ribs on the 2ist as they occur on the igth in podilymbus. ..."
4. Birds of the Kotzebue Sound Region, Alaska by Joseph Grinnell (1900)
"... in favorable localities through the valleys; most abundant along the seacoast. 5 (6) podilymbus podiceps (Linnaeus) Lawrence. PIED-BIU.ED GREBE. SYN. ..."