Definition of Polygonaceae
1. Noun. A family of plants of order Polygonales chiefly of the north temperate zone; includes the buckwheats.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Family, Magnoliopsid Family
Group relationships: Order Polygonales, Polygonales
Member holonyms: Genus Polygonum, Polygonum, Fagopyrum, Genus Fagopyrum, Genus Eriogonum, Genus Rheum, Rheum, Genus Rumex, Rumex
Medical Definition of Polygonaceae
1. The only family of the buckwheat order of dicotyledonous flowering plants. It has 40 genera of herbs, shrubs, and trees. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Polygonaceae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Polygonaceae
Literary usage of Polygonaceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel, Isaac Bayley Balfour (1905)
"These are not even present in other Ranunculaceae. polygonaceae. ... of the polygonaceae arises in the same manner. Here the derivation of the axillary ..."
2. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"polygonaceae Lindl. Nat. Syst. Ed. 2, 211. 1836." BUCKWHEAT FAMILY. Herbs, vines, shrubs or trees, with alternate or sometimes opposite or whorled simple ..."
3. Systematic Anatomy of the Dicotyledons: A Handbook for Laboratories of Pure by Hans Solereder (1908)
"polygonaceae. i. REVIEW OF THE ANATOMICAL FEATURES. The following features may be pointed out as characteristic of the Order : the absence of a special type ..."
4. Scientific and Applied Pharmacognosy: Intended for the Use of Students in by Henry Kraemer (1915)
"polygonaceae), perennial herbs (Fig. 80) indigenous to northwestern China and eastern Thibet. and sparingly cultivated in other parts of the world. ..."
5. Flora of Miami: Being Descriptions of the Seed-plants Growing Naturally on by John Kunkel Small (1913)
"polygonaceae. BUCKWHEAT FAMILY. Plants various in habit. Leaves with manifest, usually sheathing, ..."
6. Wild Flowers Worth Knowing by Neltje Blanchan, Asa Don Dickinson (1917)
"... race of autumnal spir- anthes, which will yield honey to future generations of bees." BUCKWHEAT FAMILY (polygonaceae) Common Persicaria, Pink Kno tweed, ..."