Definition of Pork-fish
1. Noun. Black and gold grunt found from Bermuda to Caribbean to Brazil.
Generic synonyms: Grunt
Group relationships: Anisotremus, Genus Anisotremus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pork-fish Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pork-fish
Literary usage of Pork-fish
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"THE pork-fish (Anisotremus virginicus) Another pan-fish of the grunt family (Hamu- lid(E) is the pork-fish, a handsome and beautifully- marked species. ..."
2. History of North America by John Talbot (1820)
"The exports consist of barley, grain, flax seed, spirits, horses, cattle, sheep, beef, pork, fish, poultry, cheese, and cider; of cotton and linen goods, ..."
3. Bass, Pike, Perch and Other Game Fishes of America by James Alexander Henshall (1919)
"THE pork-fish (Anisotremus virginicus) Another ... of the grunt family (Hamu- lida) is the pork-fish, a handsome and beautifully- marked species. ..."
4. St. Nicholas by Mary Mapes Dodge (1879)
"Pork, fish, onion, tomato, pork, fish, etc., etc., until the kettle is full; then the crackers on top. " Now, boys, fill up with water,—not too full,— put ..."
5. The Public Statute Laws of the State of Connecticut: As Revised and Enacted by Connecticut (1821)
"No deputy or assistant inspector, appointed Inspector not by virtue of this act, shall inspect or brand any cask of to inspect, &c. beef, pork, fish, ..."
6. The Ordinances of the Borough of Norfolk: To which are Prefixed the Charter by Norfolk (Va.), Virginia (1829)
"When fecs may be demanded. three disinterested persons well skilled in the good* ness or quality and well curing of Beef, Pork, Fish, Butter or Lard, ..."
7. The Bahama Islands by George Burbank Shattuck, Geographical Society of Baltimore (1905)
"The rock-beauties, angel-fishes, turbot, tang, parrot-fishes, pork-fish, hog-fish, cock-eye pilot, and many others are plainly seen in the clear water and ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Pork-fish