Definition of Procellariiformes
1. Noun. Petrels; albatrosses; shearwaters; diving petrels.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Aves, Class Aves
Member holonyms: Procellariiform Seabird, Diomedeidae, Family Diomedeidae, Family Procellariidae, Procellariidae, Family Hydrobatidae, Hydrobatidae, Family Pelecanoididae, Pelecanoididae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Procellariiformes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Procellariiformes
Literary usage of Procellariiformes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1907)
"He considers the procellariiformes to contain the ... placing them as an Order procellariiformes, (9), between the orders Sphenisciformes (8) and ..."
2. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1896)
"He thus agrees with Forbes as to the position of the Petrels as regards their neighbours on one side. He defines the procellariiformes as— downs complex. ..."
3. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederic Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1899)
"procellariiformes. The procellariiformes, or Petrels, are archaic ocean forms with great powers of flight, often placed near the Laridae on account of a ..."
4. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"procellariiformes.—ALBATROSSES and PETRELS.— Marine birds with webbed toes: powers of flight, great; sheath of bill of several pieces: three families. ..."